Facebook ad budgets remained resilient through the COVID-19 crisis and they’re projected to rise dramatically in 2021. With the competition growing, every conversion counts — and in today’s mobile-first world, those conversions are not always online. Below, we’ve compiled the top Facebook statistics you need to know to navigate today’s competitive landscape.
Facebook Has a Broad, Highly Engaged User Base
1. Facebook reached 2.8 billion monthly active users at the end of 2020. Facebook is currently the world’s largest social media platform (Source: Facebook).
2. 69% of all adults in the US use Facebook. Facebook’s user base continues to experience growth (Source: Pew Research Center).
3. On average, people access Facebook 8 times each day. Facebook users are highly engaged and frequently check their newsfeed (Source: LYFE Marketing).
4. 88% of users access Facebook on a mobile device. It’s essential to optimize your content and strategy for mobile (Source: Hootsuite).
5. Mobile app users spend, on average, 57 minutes per day on Facebook. This is more time than they spend on any other app, including music apps, news apps, shopping apps, social networks, and more (Source: Flurry Analytics).
Facebook Advertising Is Getting More Competitive
6. Over 160 million businesses use Facebook every month to communicate with their customers. Your audience’s newsfeed is becoming more saturated with business content — it can be a challenge to cut through the noise (Source: Facebook).
7. 93% of social media marketers use paid Facebook ads. The second most popular social media platform, Instagram, is used by 73% of social media marketers (Source: Social Media Examiner).
8. 64% of social media marketers plan on increasing their Facebook ad activities next year. The competition on this platform will inevitably heat up as spend rises (Source: Social Media Examiner).
9. Facebook ad spend reached $31.43 billion in 2020. Despite the uncertainties presented by COVID-19, Facebook’s ad revenues grew by 4.9% in 2020. And they’re poised to increase by a whopping 22% in 2021 (Source: eMarketer).
10. In 2020, Facebook received an estimated 23.5% of US digital ad revenue. Many marketers faced budget cuts in 2020 due to economic uncertainties. Despite these difficulties, Facebook ads were still a priority for many teams (Source: eMarketer).
11. The average organic reach for a Facebook post is 6.4% of the page’s likes. Facebook’s algorithms have decreased the reach of organic posts — this means, to get more eyes on your content, you have to pay to boost it (Source: Hootsuite).
12. The average engagement rate for an organic Facebook post is 3.91%. Engagement is the best way to drive reach and posts with higher engagement are less expensive to promote (Source: Hootsuite).
13. The average cost per action (CPA) for Facebook ads across all industries is $18.68. It’s now more expensive than ever to reach your audience on Facebook (Source: WordStream).
14. The average click-through rate (CTR) for Facebook ads is 0.9%. Legal services and retail have the highest CTRs of any industry, while finance and job training are among the lowest (Source: WordStream).
15. 26% of Facebook users who clicked on ads went on to make purchases. Marketers can increase their conversion rates with an optimized landing page and a seamless call experience, should the shopper choose to engage via a phone call (Source: Kleiner Perkins).
16. Facebook ads with titles that are 4 words perform the best. Facebook users have a short attention span as they scroll — advertisers should be concise and hook them right away (Source: Smart Insights).
17. Mobile advertising revenue represented 94% of Facebook’s advertising revenue in Q2 of 2019. More consumers are engaging with your Facebook ads on their mobile phones, which makes placing a call to your business more seamless than ever (Source: Facebook).
Facebook Ads Are Driving an Explosion of Phone Calls to US Businesses
18. Social media ads drove 36.4 calls to US businesses in 2019. Whether from click-to-call buttons or landing pages, consumers often place a call after engaging with social media ads (Source: BIA/Kelsey).
19. Calls will influence $1 trillion in US consumer spending this year. In our mobile-first world, calls are often the most convenient way for customers to convert (Source: BIA/Kelsey).
20. 41% of organizations report having increased phone conversion rates by 25% or more in the past 12 months. Not only are consumers calling more due to COVID-19 — they’re also calling with higher intent to make a purchase. Both the volume and value of calls are increasing for many businesses due to COVID-19 (Source: Forrester).
Inbound Phone Calls Are A Valuable Conversion from Facebook Ads
21. Phone calls convert to 10-15x more revenue than web leads. Calls are one of the most valuable conversions marketers can drive from Facebook. By tracking the calls driven by your Facebook ads and landing pages, you can measure your full ROI and optimize accordingly (Source: BIA/Kelsey).
22. Callers convert 30% faster than web leads. Calls provide a more immediate return on your marketing investment (Source: Forrester).
23. Caller retention rate is 28% higher than web lead retention rate. Driving calls from Facebook ads is also profitable in the long-term — callers are more loyal than web leads (Source: Forrester).
24. 84% of marketers report phone calls having higher conversion rates with larger order value (AOV) compared to other forms of engagement. Phone calls are often the most valuable conversions for marketers (source: Forrester).
25. 85% of marketers believe inbound calls and phone conversations are a key component of their organization’s digital-first strategy. Marketers plan to tap into phone call data to better understand their customers and inform their Facebook advertising strategies (Source: Forrester).
Conversation Intelligence Data from Phone Calls Helps Marketers Deliver Better Personalization and Drive Revenue
26. 48% of marketers have provided or expect to provide enhanced customer experiences as a result of scaling conversation intelligence across the enterprise. With conversation intelligence data, marketers can enhance Facebook ads and experiences based on the content of phone conversations (Source: Forrester).
27. 43% of marketers have improved or expect to improve customer acquisition and retention as a result of scaling conversation intelligence across the enterprise. When you tailor consumer experiences based on the content of their phone conversations, you better meet their needs and earn their loyalty (Source: Forrester).
28. Marketers who have scaled conversation intelligence across the enterprise have seen or expect to see improved analytics efficiency, increased business efficiency, improved employee productivity, and seamless integration with existing systems. Conversation intelligence allows marketers to get smarter insights into their consumers and make more informed decisions to drive efficiency (Source: Forrester).
Personalizing the Caller Experience Can Increase Facebook Ad Conversions
29. 72% of consumers say they only engage with marketing messages that are customized to their specific interests. Facebook advertisers who take into account their consumers’ past brand experiences — online and over the phone — have more success (Source: SmarterHQ).
30. 80% of customers say the experience a company provides is as important as its products and services. If you fail to provide seamless experiences that make your customers feel valued and known, they’ll likely take their business elsewhere (Source: Salesforce)
31. 83% of consumers say they require a positive experience to remain loyal to a brand — regardless of the channel they’re engaging on. Facebook advertisers will lose out on lifetime revenue if they fail to provide seamless call experiences (Source: Glassbox Digital)
So, What Can You Do to Drive More Calls From Your Facebook Ads?
- Target audiences based on country, state, ZIP code, or radius from your business — consumers want to call local businesses.
- Target smartphone users with your ads — they’re more likely to call.
- Track calls from marketing source to sale and integrate that call data with Facebook, your CRM, and other digital advertising tools.
- Analyze conversations to measure caller intent, lead quality, call outcome, and agent performance.
- Retarget past callers with ads based on what happens on their calls — put your best callers in lookalike campaigns.
- Optimize for the ad messaging and audience targeting strategies that generate the most customers — online and over the phone.
To learn more tips for driving and converting calls from Facebook ads, check out our Ultimate Guide to Conversation Intelligence for Marketers.